Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Arthur Ellis Awards Shortlist for 2010

It's a good day for crime writing in Canada.

Drum roll if you please....

Shortlist 2011 Arthur Ellis Awards

Whoohoo! The nominees were winnowed from an impossible-to-choose-from list of entrants.

When I read the titles this year's Arthur Ellis Awards had attracted, I was gobsmacked by the quality and variety. Canadian crime is looking very, very good. The shortlist must have been hell to decide. Kudos to the judges--better you than me.

Of particular note and excitement for me in this year's Shortlist are the names C.B. Forrest and Jayne Barnard. WHEN THE BOW BREAKS is Jayne's unpublished novel, shortlisted for the Unhanged Arthur, and C.B. is up for Best Novel for his second effort, SLOW RECOIL. His debut novel, THE WEIGHT OF STONES made the shortlist last year and for good reason. Incredible story and superb writing are a lethal combination--I couldn't put it down.

The winners will be announced on June 2, 2011 at the Bloody Words Conference in Victoria, BC. I wish I could be there ... perhaps virtually ... hmmm .... me and a bottle of bubbly to toast the winners and what the heck, I'll raise a glass to the runners-up too!

Congratulations to all of the nominees. I'll be here in Quebec rooting for you!

(And getting just a teeny bit drunk ... )

No comments:

Post a Comment