Monday, September 15, 2014

Mother of the Bride

It's raining. It's been raining since August. My daughter is getting married at my home at the end of September. Last year at this time, we were outside enjoying the sun and the blue sky of Indian Summer, that gorgeous last gasp of summer when the bugs die off and the air is crisp, and I said: "This is perfect."

In 54 years of life I still haven't learned the meaning of Murphy's Law.

It's raining and that's not all: Leaky taps, safety railings that need to be installed, electricians waited upon, flowers that have drowned, dog hair and dirt that is bewilderingly self-generating, bedding, housing for out of town guests, dishwashers that abruptly don't do what they are advertised to do. Suddenly, my house is against me and the wilderness presses in. Friends and family have told me: "Don't worry, everything will be fine." They mean well, but they're insane.

For those of us who have thrown weddings or parties or hosted big gatherings, who have led troops into battle or mounted stage plays--we know perfectly well that the event "will be fine" only after hours and hours of back-breaking work.

The bride and groom are fantastic, doing extraordinary things on a shoestring budget. This is truly the DIY generation. And when it comes right down to it, it's all about the ceremony. I can say with all honesty that I'll relax after their union is confirmed, vows exchanged and they are wed. For some reason, it's less worrying imagining 75 guests crammed into a converted woodworking shop than it is to see one's daughter happily matched for life.

Go figure.

Book I'm reading for Bookclub: Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

Just finished: The Complaints Department by Susan Haley.

Movie that made me think: Sunset Unlimited starring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment